John William Ross was born on 25 August 1813 to William and Elizabeth (Hayden) Ross in Ohio. He was the third child and first son to be born into the family.
The Ross family was living in Sycamore, Hamilton County, Ohio for the 1820 census. The listing for William Ross showed marks for the following persons:
- 4 males less than 10 years old (Daniel 1, Christopher 3, John 7, ?)
- 1 male 26 to 44 years old (William 41)
- 3 females less than 10 years old (Jennett 5, Nancy 7, Eliza 8)
- 1 female 26 to 44 years old (Elizabeth 38)
The census listed four boys less than 10 years, but I have not found any other male child added in with the other children in any records and he was not in the 1830 census. There could have been an error at the time the census was taken or perhaps there was another son who died before the next census or another child may have been living with the family for a short time.
Ten years later the family was listed in the Symmes, Hamilton County, Ohio 1830 census. The listing for William Ross showed marks for the following persons:
- 1 male 5 to 9 years old (William 5)
- 2 males 10 to 14 years old (Daniel 11, Christopher 13)
- 1 male 15 to 19 years old (John 17)
- 1 male 50 to 59 year old (William 51)
- 2 females 5 to 9 years old (Hannah 8, Mary Ann 9/10)
- 1 female 10-14 years old (Jennett 14/15)
- 2 females 15-19 years old (Nancy 17, Eliza 18)
- 1 female 40-49 years old (Elizabeth 48)
Not long after the 1830 census, the family moved north to Champaign County, Ohio. John’s father, William, died in Champaign County early in 1834. His wife, Elizabeth, was appointed Administratrix 27 March 1834 and administration papers for his estate were filed with Champaign County in April 1834.
Daughters of the American Revolution. Online database. http://www.dar.org: accessed 4 March 2017. Ancestor file no. A098461, John Ross (1757-1820).
U.S. federal census. Year: 1820; Location: Sycamore, Hamilton, Ohio; p. 282.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1830; Location: Symmes, Hamilton, Ohio; p. 195.
Emerson, William D., Active 1847. Map of Hamilton County, Ohio. [Cincinnati: C.S. Williams & Son, . Cincinnati: Klauprech & Menzel’s Lith, 1847] Map. Retrieved from the Library of Congress, .
Ohio, Champaign County, Probate records. Administration bonds and settlements 1804-1866. Database with images. FamilySearch.org. (http://familysearch.org: 1 July 2014) Vol. 1, p. 337, William Ross.