John William Ross married Christenia Wambaugh on 1 September 1836 in Champaign County, Ohio.
Christenia Wambaugh was the daughter of Paul and Hannah (Johnson) Wambaugh, born on 8 March 1817 in New Jersey. Her family moved to Ohio when she was a baby, as her brother was born in 1818 in Ohio.
John and Christenia’s first child was a daughter, Elizabeth, born 29 August 1837. Their second child was also a daughter, Hannah, born 16 September 1839, but Hannah died just nine months later on 11 June 1840.* Two years later, in June, they had a son named Marcellus. Marcellus was followed by nine more children over the next eighteen years.
In 1850, the family was living with John’s mother, Elizabeth (Hayden) Ross, in Harrison township. Elizabeth was 68 and she died that same year.
John bought land in Champaign County the following year. He was recorded in two deeds, one with Amos Chester and the other with Paul Wambaugh, his wife’s brother. Actually, he was a brother-in-law twice over since Paul had married John’s sister, Hannah.
John died on 10 April 1860 of lung fever. His family was living in Adams, Champaign County, Ohio. John’s death was listed in the 1860 Mortality Census. The rest of the family was in the 1860 census in June with Christenia as head of the family. Marcellus was the oldest child living at home at the age of eighteen and Thomas Clason was the youngest at the age of two.
Just a few months later, on 5 September 1860, Christenia and a baby girl died in childbirth.**
John William and Christenia had the following children:
- Elizabeth Ross was born 29 August 1837 in Ohio and died 3 May 1908.
- Hannah Ross was born 16 September 1839 and died 11 June 1840. *Please note that Hannah was listed on FamilySearch.org, Family Tree, but no other documentation has been found.
- Marcellus D. Ross was born 3 June 1842 and died 1 October 1909.
- Euphemia Ross was born in June 1845 and died 1 October 1922 in Logan County, Ohio.
- Marietta Ross was born about 1846 and died 30 September 1914 in Olympia, Thurston, Washington.
- John Nelson Ross was born 15 November 1848 and died 2 September 1914 in Des Moines, Boone, Iowa.
- Emily Catherine Ross was born 8 October 1850 and died 12 October 1931.
- William Johnson Ross was born about 1853 and died in 1920.
- Florence Jane Ross was born about 1855.
- Elmira Hayden Ross was born July 1856 and died 14 May 1925 in Logan County, Ohio.
- Thomas Clason Ross was born 4 May 1858 and died 20 July 1921 in Logan County, Ohio.
- Addie Ross was born and died on 5 September 1860 in Champaign County, Ohio.
**Please note that Addie was listed on FamilySearch.org, Family Tree, but no other documentation has been found.
Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-2013, database with images. FamilySearch.org. (https://familysearch.org). Champaign, Ohio, county courthouses, FHL film 295,228, p. 251, ref. 2747.
Daughters of the American Revolution. Online database. http://www.dar.org: accessed 4 March 2017. Ancestor file no. A098461, John Ross (1757-1820).
U.S. federal census. Year: 1850; Location: Harrison, Champaign, Ohio; p. 322A.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1860; Location: Adams, Champaign, Ohio; p. 78.
U.S. federal census, Mortality Schedule. Year: 1860; Location: Adams, Champaign, Ohio; line 1.
Ohio, Champaign County, Deeds, 1805-1901. Database with images. FamilySearch.org. (http://familysearch.org) Vol. W, p. 501-2, John W. Ross.