John and Jeanette Ross continued to live in Milford, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania until after 1810. The census for that year showed the family living in Milford next door to George Ross, John and Jeanette’s son.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1810, Location: Milford, Mifflin, Pennsylvania; p. 1036.
2 males less than 10 (Joseph 4, Robert 8)
2 males 10 to 15 (Williamson 10, Clendenen 14)
2 males 16 to 25 (Samuel 16, John 18)
1 male older than 45 (John 53)
1 female older than 45 (Jeanette 50)
8 persons total
About 1812, John and Jeanette left Pennsylvania and traveled on the Ohio River to Cincinnati, Ohio. Once there, they settled in Deerfield Township in Warren County. All of their children traveled to Ohio and many of them stayed in Warren County.
John Ross died in March 1820 in Warren County, Ohio. He died without a will and Jeanette “Jane” relinquished her right to administer his estate, so his sons, John and Clendenen Ross became the administrators. John’s youngest sons, Robert Irwin and Joseph were still underage, so on 4 March 1822, John Bigam became their guardian.
There has been some confusion because there was another John Ross who died in Warren County in 1820 whose will was proven on 18 August 1820. In his will, he named his children, Phineas, Sarah, John, and Thomas. So far, no relationship between the two John Rosses has been found.
Jane Ross was listed on the Tax lists in Warren County in 1820. However, she was not listed on the 1820 census under her own name.
Jeanette “Jane” Ross died in 1830 in Twenty Mile Stand, Warren, Ohio. Both John and Jeanette were buried in Union Cemetery in Loveland, Hamilton County, Ohio.
John and Jeanette had the following children:
- William Ross was born 16 January 1779 in Cumberland, Pennsylvania and died 14 March 1834 in Springhills, Champaign, Ohio.
- James Ross was born 10 December 1781 in Pennsylvania and died 18 August 1847 in Hamilton County, Ohio.
- Ann Ross was born in 1783 in Pennsylvania and died 1826 in Warren County, Ohio.
- Hannah Ross was born 13 April 1785 in Pennsylvania.
- George Ross was born in 1787 in Pennsylvania and he died Feb 1860 in Deerfield, Warren, Ohio.
- John Ross was born in 1792 in Pennsylvania and he died 13 Aug 1844 in Winterset, Madison, Iowa.
- Samuel Ross was born 18 July 1794 in Pennsylvania.
- Clendenen Ross was born on 7 June 1796 in Pennsylvania and he died 10 Aug 1838 in Twenty Mile Stand, Warren, Ohio.
- Williamson Ross was born on 15 Feb 1800 in Pennsylvania and he died 21 May 1857 in Warren, Ohio.
- Robert Irwin Ross was born on 15 July 1802 in Pennsylvania and he died 15 June 1837 in Twenty Mile Stand, Warren, Ohio.
- Joseph Ross was born 13 August 1806 in Pennsylvania and he died in 1828 in Twenty Mile Stand, Warren, Ohio.
Ohio, Warren County Probate Records. Bonds 1803-1831. FamilySearch.org (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1974). Film 964,276 Item 2, p. 311.
Ohio, Warren County Probate Records. Bonds and letters 1803-1825. FamilySearch.org (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1974). Film 964,275 Items 1-2, p. 335-336.
Ohio, Warren County Duplicate Tax Records, 1816-1826. FamilySearch.org (Salt Lake City, Utah: Genealogical Society of Utah, 1967-1968) Film 514,202, year 1820.
John Ross, Memorial #20631960, database and images online. Find-A-Grave.com.
Jennette Jane Irwin Ross, Memorial #20631994, database and images online. Find-A-Grave.com.