James Woodall was born about 1800 in Virginia to Obediah and Mildred (Cason) Woodall.
James married Mary Jane McCormick probably about 1834 in Virginia. She was the daughter of Samuel and Rebecca (Mitchell) McCormick and born about 1813 in Buckingham County, Virginia.
The 1840 census was the first one James was listed as the head of a household.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1840; Location: Southern District, Buckingham County, Virginia; p. 372.
2 males less than 5 years old (Obediah ~3, Samuel ~1)
1 male 30 to 39 years old (James ~40)
1 female less than 5 years old (Martha ~5)
1 female 20 to 29 years old (Mary Jane ~27)
1 male slave less than 10 years old
6 persons total
Ten years later, in 1850, James and Mary Jane were listed in the census in Putnam County, Virginia. The family was listed as follows:
U.S. federal census. Year: 1850; Location: District 46, Putnam County, Virginia; p. 284B.
James Woodall, age 48, Male, Farmer, born Virginia
Mary Woodall, age 37, Female, born Virginia
Martha Woodall, age 15, Female, born Virginia
Obediah Woodall, age 13, Male, born Virginia
Samuel Woodall, age 11, Male, born Virginia
Mary Woodall, age 9, Female, born Virginia
Sarah Woodall, age 7, Female, born Virginia
Richard Woodall, age 3, Male, born Virginia
Sarah Jeffers, age 80, Female, born Virginia
Mary Jane died on 11 November 1854 in 18 Mile Creek, Putnam, Virginia of the flux.
James moved to Union in Mason County between 1860 and 1870. The 1870 census listed him at the age of 61 living in Union with his daughter, Susan.
In the 1880 census, James was listed as living with his son, Obediah, in Union.
James died about 1888. He was buried in the Long Hollow Cemetery on the Woodall Homestead in Jackson County, West Virginia.
James and Mary Jane had the following known children:
- Martha Rebecca Woodall was born about 1835 in Virginia.
- Obediah Woodall was born on 9 November 1837 in Buckingham County, Virginia. He died on 17 September 1924 in Wilkesville, Vinton, Ohio.
- James Samuel Woodall was born about 1839 in Virginia.
- Mary Ann Woodall was born about 1841 in Virginia.
- Sarah Woodall was born about 1843 in Buckingham County, Virginia.
- Richard Andrew Woodall was born on 13 August 1844 in Kanawha County, Virginia. He died on 16 October 1937 in Dwight, Livingston, Illinois.
- Susan E. Woodall was born in 1852 in Putnam County, Virginia. She died in 1893 in Jackson County, West Virginia.
West Virginia Deaths, database and images online. West Virginia Division of Culture and History (http://wvculture.org). Mary J. Woodall death register, Putnam County, 11 November 1854.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1860; Location: District 4, Putnam, Virginia; p. 888.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1870; Location: Union, Mason, West Virginia; p. 35A.
U.S. federal census. Year: 1880; Location: Union, Mason, West Virginia; e.d. 098, p. 362A.
James Woodall, Memorial #6054260, database and images online. Find-A-Grave.com (http://www.findagrave.com).